To Sod or Not To Sod with Hodgdon-Tyler Landscaping
Every Homeowner wants a Lawn that Looks Lush and Rich but not every homeowner knows how to achieve this. Our magic word, SOD! By deciding to get SOD installed you will have that lush lawn in a fairly short period of time, so you can start enjoying it within a couple of weeks of laying it.
What is SOD?
Sod is grass that has already been planted. Also referred to as turf grass, sod is sold in sections that are grass and soil held together by roots or other materials.
The Pros of Using Sod
Pro: You have a lawn much quicker than you do when you use grass seed
Pro: You will be able to start mowing your lawn sooner as the grass will be growing so nicely
Pro: You don’t have to wait for certain times of the year to install sod like you do with grass seed
Pro: Sod takes root better than seed and is much more reliable
Pro: You won’t be spending your summer pulling weeds when you use sod instead of grass seed
FAQS from Bill Hodgdon
1. What time of year do you put in a lawn? Spring or Fall
2. Do we call you and you come to the place? And then make recommendations? Yes.
3. Are there different kinds of sod and are some sod types better for yards than others? Some places are suited better for seed vs sod Bluegrass and fescue sod. Bluegrass is great for high traffic and sport field applications. Fescue sod thrives in this area and has much less maintenance
4. What is the maintenance for a new yard? Water water water is the key to newly planted lawns and after about 5 to 6 weeks it’s good to kick it with a fertilizer application.
5. What is the average cost of a project like this? cost is calculated by the square foot and of course the amount of loam needed and equipment and manpower used to prepare the area
6. How long does it typically take? This lawn above took 24 labor hour to place 5000 square. Time also varies by the amount of cuts needed to tie everything in.